Herding cats: scheduling SP jobs

April 8, 2014

How can you choose just one?
[Playing Kittens via wikimedia]

SP work is not full-time, even though I work for almost a dozen different places. Even so, scheduling conflicts are not uncommon. So when multiple schools request availability for the same block of time, the scheduling involves an enormous calculus of various factors:
  • Rate of pay and the number of hours/days the job runs: How much will this case be worth? Is this a school that pays more than others? Is it a case that runs over several days or weeks?
  • Enjoyment of the particular case: When I know what the cases are, how much I enjoy one of the particular cases can influence which job I choose. Or is it a new case? Most schools want to schedule you for a case you've already done. However, I lean towards new cases when possible because it makes me more available for a wider range of cases. And it's more interesting for me: I like to see how communication needs change for different patients in different cases.
  • Travel time and/or hassle: I'm willing to travel quite a ways for SP jobs. If there is a potential scheduling conflict, however, I am more likely to choose a job that is closer if all other factors are similar. The same is true if I have to pay for parking.
  • Relationship with the school/department: Is it a prestigious school? Is the school/department well-managed? Will accepting this job strengthen the relationship I have with this school or department? For instance, am I still establishing myself at that institution? Conversely: will refusing that job leave me vulnerable to seeming unavailable and therefore uninvited in the future? SP work is meant to be flexible, but in reality many schools maintain a pool of "reliable" (by which they mean "available") SPs. If you are unavailable too often it can count against you. I think this is a bit unfair for a profession that offers no benefits, security or regular work. Another factor: will they be able to find another SP easily? For some jobs, I am the only SP they have, which can make scheduling more complicated.
  • Juggle & bundle: Can I cancel or reschedule another commitment to accommodate everyone? I hate to choose this option, but it's been useful from time to time. Can I schedule multiple jobs from different schools for the same day? Those days are the best days. Can the role be split so I can accept the one-day job from another school? Some schools expect that, but some schools hate it.
Extra Credit!
I have learned to say I am "currently" available when responding to an event. Sometimes when one school requests availability, another will offer a job within the same time before the first one has committed. So I also have to keep track of what stage all the offers are in so I can amend my availability for the other school(s). I have learned that if I try to wait for the first school to get back to me, sometimes I don't get any of the jobs. *sad trombone*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.