A proper introduction

July 15, 2014

Sadly, students never introduce themselves like this.
[The Introduction via wikimedia]

Many, many checklists have an item in the communication skills section worded something like this: "Did the doctor introduce themselves appropriately?"

Well, what does that mean? How do I know whether a student deserves credit for an "appropriate" introduction? Different schools train their students to default to a particular greeting. But this form of greeting is hardly ever required, so it makes it more difficult for me to know if the introduction is "appropriate." So in the face of a non-existent standard, it means this question is almost always answered "yes" if the student says anything at all.

My personal standard for an "appropriate" introduction includes the student's first name, last name, and title: "Hi, I'm Dr. Amy Basil."

Here are some other ways student doctors have introduced themselves that would not pass that standard:
  1. "Hi, I'm Amy."
  2. "Hi, I'm Amy Basil."
  3. "Hi, I'm Dr. Amy."
  4. "Hi, I'm Dr. Basil."
It seems like such a small thing, but when you're grading 60 students over the course of a week, having a simple assessment for an "appropriate" introduction reduces cognitive overhead for SPs and makes us all standardized for the event. And without concrete standards, how can you suggest improvements in feedback?

Extra credit!
If a student doctor follows the introduction by describing his/her role in my health care before launching into questions, I feel immediately more trusting and secure in our interaction. E.g.:
"I'm a doctor here at the clinic."
"I'm your husband's doctor."
"I'm a health coach. Your doctor will be here shortly."
"I'm a member of the health care team working with you today."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.