Awkward handwashing techniques

December 30, 2014

An SP waits for the student doctor to finish washing her hands.
[The Sisters via wikimedia]

The introduction sets the tone for the rest of the encounter. When a school requires hand washing for credit, there are two potential moments of awkwardness depending on how the student chooses to wash their hands:
1. If the student uses sanitizing gel, they almost always use too much. Then they either spend a lot of time trying to rub it in, or they shake my hand with their slimy hand. With the first, I lose confidence in the student in the same way as I do when a student uses a tool incorrectly. With the second, I lose trust because shaking a slimy hand is disgusting and it makes me feel that either the student doesn't know that -- or doesn't care about my discomfort. 
2. If the student washes their hands in the sink, there is frequently a long pause while the student says nothing and has their back turned away from me. That makes me feel disengaged. If the student attempts to fill that gap with rapport building, an overview of the encounter, or a review of the doorway information/chief complaint, I feel that time is being put to better use and I have more confidence in the student.
Setting the standard:
To limit awkwardness at the beginning of the encounter, I highly recommend students practice how much hand gel to use to be both clean and efficient. If washing hands in the sink, I highly recommend students practice the ability to talk and wash at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.