Alphabet soup

January 13, 2015

Embellishing a standard student mnemonic.
[16th Century Ornamental Alphabet via wikimedia]

One of the essential mnemonics for medical students asking about HPI is LMNOPQRST:
L: Location (where is the pain exactly? Can you point to it?)
M: Mechanism (how did this pain occur, if known? -- for instance, with trauma)
N: New (prior history of this pain or similar?)
O: Onset (when did this pain occur?)
P: Palliative/Provocative (what makes the pain better or worse? Not asked as a stacked question, hopefully!)
Q: Quality (describe the pain)
R: Radiation (does the pain move?)
S: Severity (how bad is the pain? often rated on a 1-10 pain scale)
T: Timing (how does the pain change over time? e.g. duration, contant/intermittent, sudden/gradual)
So brilliant! Because the alphabet is strongly ingrained in anyone who speaks fluent English, it's actually difficult to forget this one. The questions don't neccessarily need to be asked in this order during the interview, but if a student hits all of these points, the student has done a thorough job of asking the right questions to understand the patient's chief complaint.

Using the core value of "Empathy first", I propose a new mnemonic:
K: Kindness (empathetic statement, validation or reassurance)
L: Location
M: Mechanism
N: New
O: Onset
P: Palliative/Provocative
Q: Quality
R: Radiation
S: Severity
T: Timing
I love that including Kindness in the traditional HPI mnemonic creates a logical sequential addition and places empathy as the first element.

Extra credit:
I also use this mnemonic when memorizing my cases and checklists to verify I have all the info I need to answer a student's questions, even if that information isn't in the case. In which case, I also add:
U: Unusual/associated symptoms
V: actiVities of daily liVing (aka ADL: how does this affect your life/work?)
W: What do you hope to get out of this visit?
Bonus points:
An advanced student will begin a patient encounter with an open-ended question like, "So tell me what brings you in today." After they allow me to tell my story in my own words, the advanced student will then go back and ask the alphabet questions I didn't talk about to fill in the blanks naturally. This enhances rapport with the patient, speeds the interview process, and makes the student-doctor look gracious and competent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.