The gendering of imaginary medical professionals

March 31, 2015

Because women are always nurses, right?
[Train to be a Nurse via wikimedia]

As an actor and a conscientious person, I am interested in our habitual language choices, especially relating to intrinsic human qualities like sex, gender, race, etc.

For instance, there are times during an encounter when a student may refer to my PCP or someone treating me for a particular condition in the case. And almost invariably, the gender of this doctor who doesn't even exist is male. This is true even if the student asking is a woman.
student: "Have you seen a doctor for this condition?"
SP: "Oh, yes."
student: "What did he tell you was going on?"
So I am surprised when, even after all these years, I fall into the same trap:
student: "When did you last see your doctor?"
SP: "I saw him last month."
When I use a masculine pronoun by default, I have to let it go because I don't want to do anything to derail the scenario. But I mentally wince when I hear myself say it.

However, if the student defaults to a masculine pronoun, I can choose to ignore it or challenge it, depending on what feels best for that interaction. For example:
student: "Have you seen a doctor for this condition?"
SP: "Oh, yes."
student: "What did he tell you was going on?"
SP: "She told me to come back for more tests next month."
As an SP, I find I don't even need to add emphasis to "she" or act offended in any way. Just changing the pronoun is enough to change the dynamic and get the student's attention.

It takes a lot of concentration to flip the model and not just go along with it, especially when I'm concentrating on the rest of the encounter requirements, which is why I don't remember to do this as often as I would like. But when I do I feel like I'm helping to create the kind of world I want to live in.

Bonus points:
Other gendered professions in scenarios (a living list): apparently social workers are female, too.

Extra credit:
If a student-doctor uses the term "lady doctor," please call them out on it either in character during the scenario or gently during feedback. (Yes! I've heard it!)

Setting the Standard:
Women can be doctors, too. In fact, nationwide almost 50% of students in medical school are women. I recommend using a feminine pronoun for all imaginary medical professionals to reinforce that possibility and offset the default gendering of medical professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.