Summertime

June 2, 2015

A lazy June day lying over the educational horizon.
[June Day via wikimedia]

Ah, it's the end of the school year. As an SP it is bittersweet in many ways:

  • We see such a small slice of students' lives. I often see students more than once, but if they are Y2 students, they can suddenly be ready to graduate, moving onto other programs and cities. When I think about how much they've had to master in such a short time, I am nostalgic and impressed.
  • The end of the year changes my feedback sometimes. For instance, during the last OSCE of Y2, I know the students won't go through another OSCE (except for schools who do occasional 3rd year or resident events). So for schools with open feedback, my tone is more informal and summative, more broadly applicable: Congratulations! What have you learned? What are you still struggling with? What specialty are you planning? These skills will help you with that [in a specific way]!
  • Summer is when my income plunges. Very few schools have summer events. So I watch my monthly average drop with trepidation and am almost giddy when a random summer job comes my way. When the regular fall schedules start up in August, I'll be ready to jump back in.
  • Conversely, summer is when I have the most free time. So I plan my major travels & adventures around this time when possible to reduce the opportunity cost of missing a job during the school year. I'll get to write more, think more. Maybe I'll even get around to reading the Empathy Exams like I said I'd do in January! Yes, I'm looking forward to reading on the porch, drinking homemade iced chai.

Discussion question:
What are your summer plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.