Strength testing

November 3, 2015


"All right, now push against my hand."
[Werdende Kraft via wikimedia]

When learners do strength testing on my extremities, I often find myself confused by their instructions. Because learners often practice with each other, it means they practice with people who anticipate and act on what the learner intends, not what the learner has actually said. Plus, strength testing involves body positioning in a way where students are less likely to be mindful of physical autonomy.

I wrote about this a bit in "Neuro exam checklist," but it comes up frequently enough that I wanted to break it out into its own post. So this is the kind of feedback I give learners doing strength testing.

This is a living list. Last updated November 3, 2015

  • Explain: Why are we doing strength testing, anyway? As a patient, it can look like a lot of work with no clear purpose, especially if the movements seem unrelated to my chief complaint.
  • Stop talking: Learners frequently begin the test before they even finish telling me the instructions. So the test could be over before I even understand it has begun.
  • Offer simple, clear instructions: I feel strongly that "Push against me" and "Pull against me" are far easier instructions for me to follow than "Resist my force." Or worse: "I'm going to push against you; don't let me." Framing things in the negative (ala "resist me") places a higher cognitive burden on me to figure out what the learner wants me to do to "resist." Plus, telling me to push/pull also makes it clear when the testing has begun, because I am in charge of the movement. If the learner is already pushing against me but I have not yet understood my counter move, it can give the learner a false positive.
  • Let me move myself: During strength testing, learners may move my limbs into position while explaining the test, which makes me feel vulnerable. If learners allow me to move my arms or feet into position myself (including during reflex testing), I feel like I have some control over my own body.
  • Indicate the end of the test: This can be as easy as saying "ok" or "thank you" (how polite!). Saying "great" or another filler can be awkward if I am clearly not doing well.
  • Ease up on exit: When learners are eager to move on to the next test, they may let go while I am still exerting force, which drops my limb rapidly. When this tests neck muscles, this can be especially dangerous. But when learners are careful to ease pressure at the end of the test, I feel much more confident in their ability to be self-aware and treat me with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.