Irregular standards: working at multiple schools

June 24, 2014

If you ask two different schools, you'll get two different opinions.
[Line Infantry Officer & 2nd Standard Bearer via wikimedia]

Once I established myself at one school, I was proud and pleased to be hired at a second one. Working at a second school brought a major challenge, though: almost everything I thought I knew about being an SP was wrong.

One of the hardest lessons I had to learn as I expanded my network of SP jobs was that different schools have different standards for many similar exams. I remember the shock I had at my second school: That isn't how you test for Murphy's Sign! My estimation of the second school was damaged based on my experiences at the first school. So imagine my surprise when I was hired at a third school -- and they did some things differently than either of the other two schools!

So I had to learn to grade SP encounters based on the individual school standards rather than my own. This can be really hard to adapt to if you are a perfectionist like I am and want to believe in the One True Way. But the more schools I work for, the more I realize that while there are some basic general guidelines, as usual the devil is in the details.

And if you are responsible for grading students, the details matter. Because most schools don't compare their curriculum with other schools, there are a ton of built-in assumptions about How Things Work Here that you only discover through trial and error. This is why I ask so many clarifying questions during trainings: I don't want to mark a student down based on another school's standards.  Unfortunately, many programs don't want to have to standardize at that level, which can make it tricky to ask those questions without looking like a rigid rule-monger.

This is especially true for schools who use the same regular pool of actors, because that school's institutional cultural standards are assumed to have been transmitted via osmosis somehow. Those standards may (may!) have been discussed years ago, but they were rarely if ever reinforced, so after time nobody really remembers the details, including the trainers. The original SPs are likely to have experienced case drift, while newer SPs spend the first few events using past SP experiences to influence their current encounters.

So I really respect schools who are clear about their expectations for every encounter, every time. But knowing how different they all are, "Standardized" Patient seems like a bit of a misnomer.

Extra Credit!
You can spot an SP who has spent the bulk of their time at another school because they will always say, "But at [this other school] we did it like [that]!" during training.

Setting the standard:
Offer new SPs an extra 30-minute or 1-hour orientation to discuss your program, especially if your SPs have worked at other schools. Discuss the standards you have around grading and feedback, especially. Bonus points if you know enough about other schools to point out how your program differs from others. Also, check in with new SPs to see what questions they have after the first couple of events and/or observe their first few events to make sure they are following your standards. Never EVER say anything like, "Well, we all know about how [x] works, right?" when training a procedure or case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.