SP encounters are not a substitute for medical care

June 17, 2014

I hear the GU exams feel sort of like this.
[Opisthotonus in a patient suffering from tetanus via wikimedia]

It's important to recognize satire when you see it:

Standardized Patient Suing Medical School After No One Detected Prostate Cancer

I probably get between 600-800 exams a year from various medical students. One of my favorite things about encounters that include physical exams is seeing the large range of findings between student doctors. My blood pressure is excellent but every student comes up with a different number. I have incredible reflexes if student doctors hit the right spot, but less than half of them do. Very few guess my age or weight correctly. I remember one group of students was once very concerned about something that turns out to be very normal in women.

One of the unanticipated side effects of this job is the constant battle against hypochondria: is it fatigue or is it CANCER? But because I have so many exams, I feel lured into a false sense of security. Even though I know these exams are cursory at best, I also haven't been to an actual doctor in... years. I need to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.