Wrapping up

August 19, 2014

Ah, I see we're almost done here.
[A Lady in a Fur Wrap via wikimedia]

We've talked about a proper introduction, but what is a proper conclusion, anyway? As soon as I realize a student doctor is wrapping up, these are the things I am looking for:

Summaries:
  • A summarization of HPI
  • A summarization of relevant physical exam findings

Answers to these 3 questions in this order using plain language (even if the answer is "I don't think so" or "I don't know yet.")
  • How serious is it?
  • How long will I feel like this?
  • What is the next step?

And finally:
  • Teach back
  • "What questions do you have?"
  • Validation & empathy
  • Farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.