1 year!

March 10, 2015

Happy birthday, blog!
[Strawberries and cakes via wikimedia]

It's now been a year since I began Setting the Standard. One of my very favorite things to do is to create pattern from chaos, so I have loved writing about this job in very detailed ways. I am very pleased to write concretely about the largely invisible and intangible relationship skills which have such a large impact on patients, like empathy, power differential, consent, physical autonomy, etc. Compiling the differences between institutions feels like I have a particularly unique view on something that initially seems simple. It is also very satisfying to get internal checklists standards and jargon out of my head and onto the "page" to use as a reference when called for.

In my second year I hope to find other SPs engaged in the online community: writing, thinking, feeling, training, and discussing this strange and wonderful work. As I wrote on my "About" page: "The only thing that would make this work more fulfilling is a stronger SP culture... I want to raise our standards. I want an SP culture that is both curious and dedicated to self-improvement." Student and SP management opinions are also welcomed! SP work shouldn't be lonely work, especially if we are in the business of analyzing and addressing communication skills. We're in this together.

I still have so much more to write about, and many more scenarios to perform with many different kinds of institutions. I am terribly glad to be an SP, so grateful for these brief windows into the lives of others who are also ever myself. So as long as I am an SP, I will continue learning, playing, and writing.

Extra credit
I wish I felt comfortable writing about scenarios in the way Tom does, because I appreciate their perspective and poetry. But my thin veneer of anonymity is more important to me. So thanks for writing what needs to be written, Tom! Have a cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.