Acting like the moon

March 3, 2015

After a particularly moving SP performance.
[One Hundred Aspects of the Moon via wikimedia]

Sometimes a student or an observing faculty member will thank me after a scenario, saying "You're a really good actor!" And I appreciate that. It's flattering and reassuring that they think I've done a good job.

But I also think of a Japanese folktale comparing two actors playing the moon. After the first actor performs, the audience praises him: "You shone so beautifully! So bright! So magnificent in the sky!" The second actor, however, performs so naturally he was barely noticed.

Which actor was better?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.