Have you seen something like this before?

May 12, 2015

An SP having a flash of inspiration during feedback.
[Saint Augustin via wikimedia]

My preferred method for feedback includes a lot of questions. I love feedback when it's a conversation and individualized to each student. I stumbled into a question recently that really makes me happy, especially with Y2 students:

Have you seen this before?

Depending on the conversation, it can mean:
  • Have you seen this in clinic?
  • Have you had experience with this personally?

I don't know why I didn't think about this before, but the answer is usually yes! Students usually have had some experience in the medical profession before being accepted to most programs. The further along in the program they are, the more likely this answer is to be yes.

So then more questions can follow:
  • What did you do/see?
  • What tools did you pick up that you used in this encounter?

That's the secret: I don't talk about what they did or should have done in another context. Instead, I direct their responses to reflect how they affected me in this encounter. This both focuses their attention and integrates my feedback with experiences they've already had.

One of the primary complaints students have about SP encounters is how they don't reflect the work the students feel they are capable of outside the exam room. I've been thrilled with how this question changes that dynamic. I can honor the students' actual lived experience and together we can refine it within the safety of the event.

Extra credit:
This turns out to be a useful tool when giving difficult feedback, too. "Your eye contact is poor/You ask too many questions at once/You rushed at the end. Have you heard that before? Has anyone told you that before?" Learners often have heard that feedback before, so it helps to notice the bigger picture and come up with a strategy they can attempt in their next encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.