Using Google Glass

May 19, 2015

Earliest known depiction of a student using Google Glass.
[The "Glasses Apostle" via wikimedia]

I was going to scoff when I ran across this report preview:

Recording Medical Students’ Encounters with Standardized Patients Using Google Glass: Providing End-of-Life Clinical Education

Until I read "traditional wall-mounted cameras...provide a limited view of key nonverbal communication behaviors during clinical encounters."

Ah! Yes! That is totally true. When I review video encounters, without a good look at the student's face, grading things like eye contact & sincerity becomes much more difficult.

"Next steps include a larger, more rigorous comparison of Google Glass versus traditional videos and expanded use of this technology in other aspects of the clinical skills training program."

Indeed. I am thinking of the cost-benefit ratio, though. The results have higher fidelity, but do they justify the cost and cognitive dissonance during their use? I guess that depends on what the program uses the resulting videos for. Data without analysis is a waste of resources.

Bonus points (added August 2015)
  • I've now been in an event that includes these glasses! I don't know what happens with the video, but the glasses just looked like safety goggles, the kind you might wear to protect your eyes from bodily fluids. In the context of this particular event, it wasn't that incongruous, though it probably would have been in a traditional patient room.
  • I've also been at events that use Go Pro cameras attached to the learner, which also seems like an interesting strategy.

2 comments:

  1. Google glasses
    I just read that the clinical skills exam required for physician licensing (USMLE) does not use the video recordings of the simulation sessions in scoring. One reason is that the camera does not pick up eye contact.

    Nice piece. I had no idea Google glasses were used in in the middle ages.

    Tom Cooney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That's interesting, Tom! I wonder what they use the video recordings for, then...

    ReplyDelete

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.