The case against empathy

August 25, 2015

It takes more than empathy to truly understand.
[Harmonie der Geschöpfe via wikimedia]

My first post on Setting the Standard began: "If I could teach medical students only one thing as an SP, it would be to provide empathy first." I'm a big proponent of empathy as a way to reduce the power differential and enhance connection & communication between doctors and patients.

So after I posted "Empathy is the highest form of respect," a friend sent a link titled "Empathy Won’t Save Us In the Fight Against Oppression." I was intrigued. I became even more intrigued when that article referenced "The Baby and The Well: The Case Against Empathy."

In it, Paul Bloom argues, "Empathy has some unfortunate features—it is parochial, narrow-minded, and innumerate. We’re often at our best when we’re smart enough not to rely on it."

Recognizing the limitations of empathy helps me give better feedback to learners. I still believe empathy should be a starting point for patient encounters. But empathy alone is not enough, which is why I also pay close attention to the other values in my feedback hierarchy like respect & autonomy.

In scenarios, a major limitation of empathy is a lack of imagination from the person using it. Frequently, empathy is employed in a fashion similar to the Golden Rule: How would I feel in that situation? But empathy should be more complex and nuanced than that. SP scenarios are a good way to increase learners' exposure to a wider variety of situations than they might otherwise find themselves. But there are situations and lives it is almost impossible for us to truly understand if we haven't lived them. This is especially true for vulnerable & marginalized patient populations.

So when empathy fails, respect and unconditional positive regard can fill the gap. Bloom writes, “Our best hope for the future [lies] in an appreciation of the fact that, even if we don’t empathize with distant strangers, their lives have the same value as the lives of those we love.” That's always good feedback to give learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.