The point of greatest vulnerability

August 11, 2015


A learner carefully prepares to hear feedback.
[The Goose Girl via wikimedia]

I've written about the value of student self-reflection before. My goal for feedback is to finely tune it for this encounter for this learner, and so I usually begin with the standard open-ended question "How did that go for you, [name]?". Since I always have a ton of potential feedback but a very limited amount of time, I begin this way in part because I value knowing what direction the student wants to go, as I wrote below:

"For me, this is the most important part of using self-reflection: be genuinely interested in the student's response. When I ask, "How did that go for you?" I am not waiting for a perfunctory answer so that I can launch into my own feedback. I am waiting to see where (or if) our needs overlap."

This method and focus developed intuitively over many years, so when I heard Valerie Fulmer say this recently, I felt something click sharply into place along with a deep sense of validation:

"The first thing a student says [when feedback begins] is the point of greatest vulnerability."

Yes! "The point of greatest vulnerability" really helped crystallize why I approach feedback in this way. Now that I know this explicitly I can be even more strategic about how I respond to the student's response, including how I employ agreement in feedback. Also, maintaining "vulnerability" as a keyword helps me remain in a state of compassion during feedback, even if faced with a difficult encounter or student.

Bonus points (added 08.28.2015):
I just had to remind myself of this recently, in fact: a learner came into my room for feedback and before I said anything immediately exclaimed: "That was SO AWKWARD!" We laughed briefly and I was about to "begin" my feedback with the standard "So how did that go for you?" when I realized she had already told me how that went for her: awkwardly. That was her point of greatest vulnerability. So I began my feedback by saying "So what made that awkward for you?" instead and we had a great conversation.

2 comments:

  1. Listening to understand, not listening to respond -- or listening by rote, just to be seen to be listening -- IS EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, coffeeandablankpage! With this focus, I am really able to listen differently to the learner's most important concerns, and yes, it really seems to matter to them. I strongly feel it's important to model the behavior we expect them to use with their patients, and so in that sense it's an important thing for doctors to do, too!

    ReplyDelete

Pretend you're giving feedback to a student. Be calm, kind and constructive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments to keep the conversation focused and productive.